Monday, March 15, 2010

Birthday Weekend

So…all in all, my birthday was good. I wish I could have spent it with my friends and family back home, but celebrating in Hong Kong was really fun! I went to Korean BBQ for dinner and then took the Star Ferry to Central where we went to Club 9. Basically, the entire club was filled with students from CUHK and Hong Kong University because it was the last night the club would be open! After a night of partying, a couple of us went to 麦当劳 (mai dang lao—that is the Chinese name for McDonalds) and then got back to I-House around 4:30 am.

 Me and Trevor.  They made me wear a crown since I was the birthday girl...it was kind of embarrassing.


The next day, Lena, Jean, and I headed to Shenzhen around noon for the Queen’s Spa. Once you cross the border into the mainland, there is barely anyone who speaks English. Lean is Japanese and Jean is Korean and neither of them know a word of mandarin so they relied on me the whole time to communicate. The funny thing was though that whenever we were trying to get somewhere or do anything, people would automatically turn their back to me and speak Chinese to the Asian girls. They were always shocked when I then would jump in and say they don’t speak Chinese, but I know a little.

When we got to the spa it was fantastic. We checked in and got lockers to put our things in and then explored the first floor which was full of a steam room, sauna, multiple hot tubs, and 3,000 meters of different kinds of pools. After spending a while there, we showered off and were given these POW like pajamas to wear. Then we ventured off to check out the rest of the spa. The third floor was full of hundreds of recliners with personal TV’s, a movie room, fruit bar, ice cream machine, and restaurant. If you wanted to get a leg or neck massage on this floor, you could pick your masseuse by looking at their photos on a computer.  Pretty much no one spoke English here, but they had a few workers who wore badges that said "ENGLISH" for those of us foreigners who could not really communicate. This was the point in the weekend where I got really sketched out because everyone was wearing the same pajamas (men in grey and red and women in different shades of pink), and lounging in recliners with people massaging them and cleaning out their ears.  I literally felt like I was in 1984 or Axiom—the place where the humans live in Wall-E (which I am pretty sure that Queen’s Spa is where they got the idea for that).  It was really weird.

Queen's Spa!  I like this picture because of the Missy sign on the bottom.  It is a little ironic, because in Shenzhen, people always call you missy when they are trying to get you to go to their store.

POW pajamas.  There was a pocket in the shirt.  Also, we had to sneak into the bathroom to take these pictures because you were not allowed to take pictures.

After experiencing the third floor, it was off to get our pampering done. First we got a facial and a body scrub where they scrubbed all of the dead skin off our bodies. Then Jean and I got a Hong Kong Massage. This is the type of massage where the masseurs stand on you and use their feet to massage you/crack our back lots of times. It wasn’t as painful as I thought, but I think I like the normal type of massages better. It was really awkward when they were massaging our front side too because they kept trying to talk to us.  Our conversation was a little weird because they only knew a little English and I know a little Chinese, but basically I told them we were students in Hong Kong and they asked why we didn’t have Chinese boyfriends because they are so attractive. They also taught us how to say “that tickles” and “that hurts.”

By the time we ate dinner and got all of our massages and stuff done, it was almost 2:00 am. We realized that since the lighting was dim and there were no windows, you lose track of all existence outside of the spa. We went to the second floor to go to the bed area to sleep. This wasn’t that weird for me having slept on the sleeping porch in my sorority before, but I wasn’t use to lots of snoring and crying babies. Other than that, we slept well and left first thing in the morning.  It was nice to go outside and see there was still a world out there.  We then got some dim sum, and headed back to Hong Kong.

 Lean and Jean eating their ice cream.  The Queen Spa turned them into zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment