Monday, February 8, 2010

PB & J: An American Delicacy

I am finding out that Americans are the only people who eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. A few of my European friends had one for the first time here in Hong Kong and now they are obsessed. My roommate, Eva, has never had one either. I will make one for her soon!

Today, Eva made me try this weird bean that apparently Shanghai people love called the cicada bean.  She loves them. I almost threw up and she laughed at me. Yesterday, we made some Chinese food for dinner. She is a really good cook, and I am learning some new things to take back to the states with me. Nothing too advanced yet, but it is coming along. I am hoping to go to the City Super which has every type of food—not just noodles and rice—sometime after Chinese New Year so I can cook something for her. Apparently, she has only had fresh baked cookies once!!! Those are my specialty, so I will probably make those if I can find all of the ingredients. I like rooming with Eva because she makes me speak Chinese to her so I can practice. I help her with her English and proof read e-mails for her (I guess it is shocking that when addressing a woman, we don’t really use Madame). Most of the time though, I have to help her differentiate between male and female names; it is so cute when she asks me how I know if Rebecca is a boy or a girl.

One thing that I am missing from home is the ability to watch TV online. Hulu does not work here and neither do the network websites. It is funny to hear all of the exchange students swapping tips about how to find their favorite shows online, or to bypass certain securities. I have not figured out how to bypass the security and go to Hulu, but I have found a good site to watch TV, but right now it is under construction for a couple of days. Eva also told me about this other site that is good: the only problem is that there are Chinese subtitles and the website is in Chinese so it takes me longer to search for a show than it does to actually watch it.

Tonight we just got finished booking some hostels for our Chinese New Years trip. We found a nice place to stay in Cambodia with breakfast, WiFi, pool, air conditioning, and a mini bus that will take us to the boarder of Thailand for a whopping $4.00 USD a night. And unlike Macau, we will each have our own bed! We also booked our room in Ho Chi Minh City but are still working on places for Phnom Penh, Bangkok, and Phuket. We did decide, though, that we are only going to find a place for our first night in Phuket and for the other nights we will island hop. While there, we plan on doing an elephant excursion trip, going to the Phuket Zoo to hold a baby tiger (they went there on the Amazing Race), going to Phi Phi Island, and going to James Bond island (or Ko Tapu) where part of the Man With The Golden Gun was filmed. I can’t wait! We leave on Thursday night. For now, I need to go do my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment