Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Encounter With Bobo

An interesting occurrence of events happened to me yesterday. It all started at the bank when I went to cash a check that my grandma had sent me for Christmas. They don’t really use checks here in Hong Kong so you can imagine trying to cash one from the US is hard. Well, indeed it is. Not only did it cost half the check to cash the check, the money won’t be in my account for 21 days.

Next, I went to a small convenient shop on campus to pick up some lunch. There are these two old women who work there and they make fresh food that you can buy. I was in a hurry so I grabbed something that was easy to eat while walking and my favorite—a barbequed pork bun. In poor English, the women asked me to point at what I wanted or say the number, and I just looked at her and told her what I wanted in Cantonese. She got really excited and told me that I said it very well. I had to learn the foods I like in Cantonese, or life here would be much harder.

I then began walking down to the MTR station to go into Mongkok for some face wash, bug spray, and what not, and I decided to take this one short cut which is like a million stairs straight down through this jungley area called the Alumnae Path. About halfway down the stairs I heard some rustling in the trees. When I turned back to see what it was, this monkey was coming out from the trees and landed on the railing. He was staring right at my barbequed pork bun about a foot away from me. I got kind of scared and started walking down the stairs quickly. When I turned to see if he is still there, he begins chasing after me. I threw my barbequed pork bun as a diversion and ran down the stair as fast as I cold. I guess now I can officially say that a monkey stole my lunch.

 This is what the monkey looked like.  My friend took this picture on our campus!

No comments:

Post a Comment