Sunday, November 8, 2009

Finally Got My Official Acceptance

I finally received my official acceptance letter from the Chinese University of Hong Kong this week! I spent hours filling out over 20 pages of paper work for obtaining my student visa and finally sent all of that in two days ago. With all of my paperwork, I also had to send in 8 passport sized photos, which I have no idea what those will be used for. I do know, however, that my picture is kind of scary and it looks like I am glaring. I guess that is what happens when your ears have to be show, you can’t smile, or show your teeth. I also registered my trip with the US Embassy in China this past week so they know when and for how long I will be there – this way if anything serious happens, I will be notified. I think once I arrive, I will also try to locate the US Embassy in case I ever get into trouble or need anything.

Along with my student visa, I have to apply for a multiple entry visa to mainland China. Because Hong Kong is considered a Special Administrative Region (or SAR…isn’t that ironic?) I have to have two visas if I plan on traveling anywhere outside of that region. Next week I am going to call a travel agent so I can get on top of my second visa. I hope it doesn’t take too long because I am leaving in less than seven weeks.

Aside from all of the logistics of getting there and making sure I don’t get deported, CUHK has posted classes online for spring term. My class choices are very limited since I have to take them in English. As of right now, I would like to take two Mandarin classes, and two business classes. My possible choices for business classes include Business Economics, Finance, and International Business. Each of those classes are only twice a week, so I am going to try very hard to make my schedule so I only have class twice a week – which equals four day weekends and more time to travel. I’m trying not to get my hopes up though because I am almost certain that international students are last to register, but who knows, I don’t really think the demand for classes taught in English is very high.

No comments:

Post a Comment